3.02.2009

Irritated understanding






Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.
- Carl Yung

The first time I heard this quote, I thought it was full of poo. (Pooks is trying to sound more like a lady and less like a sailor...we'll see how long it lasts.) What irritates me in others has nothing to do with me. Or does it???

When I was a child, I used to hate it when my parents would call me from another room to perform a menial task. How hard could their day have been that they can't even reach 2 feet to grab the remote or walk the 10 steps to the kitchen for a drink?? Hell, I was in school all day, I'm tired too. I vowed that I would never be that lazy... But uhhh, I didn't keep that vow for very long. I find myself calling my brother on his cell phone to do something upstairs. Hey, at least I'm not wasting my breath yelling!! So, what do I understand about myself now....I may be as lazy as my parents. It probably won't be certain though until I have my own children.

But laziness isn't the only thing I may be learning about myself. A recent spat with Hoops has sent me into a deep self-evaluation mode. Hoops is one of the strongest, no-nonsense girls that I know. But she has this kryptonite man that makes her a lot like the giddy, lovestruck Sprites in the 90s teen movies she loves so much. So when she came to me recently about going on trip with Lex Luther, I'd had enough. I finally said what I had been holding in, and needless to say, it pissed her off. She told me I had become just as bad as her family and other friends when it comes to them: lacing everything with sarcasm, a meanie with nothing nice to say. I used to be different she said, more understanding. Is it wrong of me to have had enough?? I can see she's following in my footsteps...and I'm not that great at cleaning up a broken heart, especially not hers. That's not to say that I won't do it, I'd just rather avoid the situation completely.

What do you think?? Should I have kept what I was feeling to myself?? Or is it my duty to always keep it 100 with my friends?? She's made her decision though, she's going to keep me (and the rest of the free world) out of that part of her life.

1 comment:

SunnyOne said...

Hoops seems to be struggling with something and when she went to you for support you lashed out. I think she knows how you really feel about Lex Luther (by the way GREAT name!). At the end of the day, she is your friend and she still needs you to help her figure things out. Give her some time, she'll come around and let you back in.